Saturday, April 11, 2009

What do you do if

the best friend you want to share everything with IS the same friend you are throwing a surprise birthday party for? I have been DYING to share this with my best friend. I'll blog about it instead.

J turns 40 tomorrow, April 11th. I have planned a surprise party for him with a few close friends. Nothing too elaborate - just how he'd like it (I hope!) - 5 close friends and their families, all his favorite food, a few decorations, a cake and a lot of fun and laughter. Oh, and I am gifting him a "flight experience" - half an hour in a private plane. The pilot might even agree to fly the plane over our house (says so on their website :P) By the time this post gets published, we will be in the thick of it - the party, I mean.

To get him out of the house, so I can prepare for the party, I am gifting him two movie tickets to "Fast and Furious". I have enlisted help from a friend of his who will pick him up, take him to the movies and then for happy hour in a nearby bar and then bring him home when everyone has arrived. There the surprise will register and end pretty quickly because he is bound to figure everything out when he sees all those cars in our driveway. But it should be an interesting moment :)

The menu comprises of dishes he likes. Falafel, chholey tikiya, papdi chaat, dahi bade, daal kachori, matar (peas) samosas, shrikhand and baklava. Falalfel and baklava have been ordered from a restaurant he likes them from. Everything else will be made by yours truly. Well, except the cake. That responsibility has been handed over to another good friend who will order it from a bakery in NJ. A very haphazard menu but I hope he'll like it. I asked him what his favorite chaat items are and he thinks I am going to make them for him on his birthday for LUNCH! I have asked him to take us out for dinner :D I hope he doesn't know about the surprise and isn't just playing me along.

Well, I'll post an update on how it all goes. Till then, wish me luck!!

Update: It is 12.38 AM on April 11th. I have already gifted him the movie tickets and told him this is so he can get 2 hours without the three bhootnis who constantly badger him in this house :D I have told him that I am preparing so much food because I want to make his favorite food items ALL WEEK LONG. I don't know if he bought it. He did laugh and say "I'll see if it goes beyond 2 days" (That's because I am "famous" for changing the weekly menu umpteen times at the drop of a hat..... Well many hats)


16 comments:

  1. Waiting to know how the surprise was received!!!!
    Hope it all went off really well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *wipes drool off her face at the thought of all that yummy food*

    Happy birthday, J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect surprise. Tell me how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you all had a great time! Belated birthday greetings to J. The menu sounds yummm. Not a good read on an empty stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! such a lovely surprise! can you really cook all of that?!
    he must have been so happy, do tell us how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmmmmmmmmm....I am drooling..that Menu is awesome..
    Can I come over for leftovers?
    Oh! And Happy Birthday J..
    Cee waiting to hear,how the birthday surprise was?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope it went off well, Cee-love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy b'day to J. Waiting to read all about the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww.. how'd the surprise go?!
    and did u change the menu? this one's already got my tummy growling...!

    and oh... happy belated bday to J!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did it go ? The menu makes me drool
    Happy B'day J

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I have conveyed your wishes to J. The party went well. I'll post an update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tagged: http://sunayanaroy.blogspot.com/2009/04/around-world-in-80-clicks.html

    Come back and blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At last the party that occupied your mind for so many months. Whew!

    Cool birthday surprise. I'd give an arm and a leg for something like this from hubby dear.

    How did it go? Why no updates?

    Belated b'day wishes to J.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BElated birthday wishes to J and Wow on ur planning :)Hope everything went great ..do post updates soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. u sure he doesn't read ur blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the wishes everyone They have been conveyed.

    Sue, will do the tag shortly I am trying to figure out what DO I love about being a mommy. These days I don't love anything about anything :(

    Pointblank, he does read my blog. In fact I have a setting that shoots him my post in an email as soon as I post it That is the only way I can get him to read my blog. That is why I had scheduled this post to publish at 8 pm on the day of the party :D We were in the thick of it when it published, and the surprise was already out!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?