Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Am I alone in feeling this way?

We attended a Holi cultural program on March 14th. It was organized by the Hindu Cultural Center of Connecticut. S had participated in a dance so we were extra eager to attend and see her performance. The performances were wonderful - all participants had put in a great deal of effort and time in preparing their presentations. And for a few hours we felt connected to the land that we had left when we came to the US to set up a new life for us here. M enjoyed all the dance performances and booed at the show presenters when they talked too much before introducing the next item :) Just one thing grated on my nerves real bad.

There were two sets of show presenters. One set comprised of two college going kids - a girl and a boy. I don't know if they were trying to be witty or if they were just annoying, but some incidents and jokes they narrated during the show left a poor taste in my mouth. The girl ranted about Indians being clubbed with all "Asians" and how we Indians are NOT Asians but only Indians and how someone should somehow just pluck India out of Asia and put it somewhere to be a continent by itself. Then she rambled on saying parents should go home tonight and teach there kids that India is NOT in Asia and those kids should go to school next day and tell their teachers that India is not in Asia. I think she was trying to be funny but she failed to tickle my funny bone. Heck she even failed to intrigue my mind enough to think hard on it. I just felt embarrassed and hoped there weren't any "other" Asians watching the show because then they might think that ALL Indian parents teach their kids this kind of narrow-range thinking.

The boy went a step further. He told a joke. A joke that made fun of India and the corruption in India. I agree we all tell those jokes. We forward them to our entire contact list in Gmail and even repeat them at parties. But to make fun of India in front of an audience who is there to celebrate an Indian festival? It felt like betrayal. VERY poor taste. I think there is a time and a place for everything and this was neither the time nor the place for such juvenile jokes.

I also think the organizers of the show should have asked the show presenters for a script of their speech before the function and made sure everything in there was appropriate to the occasion. But what I can't get over is that many people in the audience cheered when these bad jokes were made. Don't we have any pride left now? I know we are all fed up of the corruption in India and of the politicians who, instead of leading the nation, are pulling it back into the stone age. But we are still proud of our country, right? I mean all these things - corruption, power cuts, political games, poverty - they can all be conquered if we put our minds and hearts to it. And while we try to fix things bit by bit, we are still proud of our country. Aren't we?

Am I the only one feeling this way? Or are there others who would have identified with my feelings of outrage, embarrassment and betrayal had they been there?

14 comments:

  1. yes definitely we are all proud of India inspite of all the corruption and the likes. and sometimes coming to the US, i believe gets on to our heads and we start talking and thinking low of India but then we need to understand and always remember is that we are part of that soil and how many ever years we live in the US, we are still Indians forever! The fact that we all get together to celebrate Indian functions itself is enough to prove that we can never let the Indian come out of us. I am sure you are not alone in feeling this way. There are a lot of sensible us who love being Indians and are proud of the fact that we are a large and diverse country and definitely happy that we belong to Asia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Site note:
    Indians clubbed with Asians? I thought it was the opposite! Where I live, majority of people think Indians are from India and Japanese, Chinese and Korean people are Asians!(Once I told a hairdresser that I was an Asian and she said that I had too curly hair for an Asian!!)

    Back to the point: Well..the girls comment - if it had been just a one liner - may have been funny. But I think she killed the humour by stuffing it down the audience's throat.

    The boy's comment I think is tasteless. Yes, we should stick to making such remarks in smaller company/gmail contacts. Not on stage - not when celebrating something of our country. That would'ave ticked me off too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you a 100%.

    I have noticed in the US too that chinese/jap/koreans are called Asians (East Asians) and we are just Indians, wonder why?!

    LOVE my country, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eh ? India is not in Asia? I hate to break it to the girl but actually it is. :-)

    Well, its demeaning to *anyone* to be labeled. I'd rather not see any labels at all - not Indian not Asian or whatever. But to announce it like that, and have people enjoy it so much - that's just wrong.

    I hate corruption/ how bad life is in India type jokes. If people feel so badly about it why don't they get off their superior I'm-in-America-and-don't-have-to-deal-with-this @ss and do something. Funnily, these are the people that will grease palms in India starting from the moment they land at the Airport !!

    You have your priorities right Cee - those people need to grow some sensitivity.

    Priya.
    p.s. sorry about the strong language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we were at a fundraiser recently. for domestic abuse victims. mostly an indian/pakistani crowd. comedian vijai nathan. me and p walked out 15 minutes into the show. she continuously made fun of 'indians' and everything 'indian' which wasn't even funny any longer. exagerration of stereotypes really that it was depressing. she talked of how she went thru racism when she was little ... and trying to pass that off as funny somehow. i just didn't get it.

    it felt like we were her psychologists y'know. her telling us of her life stories ... of her suffering that we were supposed to laugh at. :/ laugh at the fact that she got her hair stuck in a ferriswheel cuz her parents wont let her cut it ... cuz they were long and beautiful like indians should have .. and some more nonsense like that.

    and like ye said, ppl were actually laughing and cheering her on. :/

    dunno.

    diff strokes for diff folks i guess. im happy with my John stewart type humor. :!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jokes involving any particular race are mostly in poor taste, leading to gross generalizing and stereotyping.

    I got this impression that many Americans didn't realize that India was in Asia, i mean they might know it geaographically, but their perception of Asians involved those from farther east. So the girl's joke doesn't even make any sense.

    The boy's joke was in poor taste, to say the least. its easy to comment on the state of affairs of a country when you're not living there and don't have to deal with the country's problems. It really gets me worked up, too, so you're not alone in thinking this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also agree with you Cee Kay. I get really offended when people say bad about India. I know that the country has some problem. But then which country does not.
    I am proud to be an indian. Unfortunately, DH really doesnt like india. His family wants to be born in the US in their next life. So what can I say, I have live with these jokes and just keep my mouth shut to maintain peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, what do these kids even know about Corruption in India. They havent even lived there. :) Where are they getting these jokes from. I am sure from their parents. Kids who have grown up in US will never know what real india is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be pissed off too. And embarrassed. I've noticed it before though that many Indians laugh at things that aren't even remotely funny. Very weird sense of humor we have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really absurd and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cee, I have not been invited back to many homes after I have got into needless arguments after a chance off the cuff remark about corruption made by some twerp nursing his third scotch and soda....
    I would have been the wild woman heckling the two presenters in your audience. And then frogmarched off the premises.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, I too believe that....I think there is a time and a place for everything and this was neither the time nor the place for such juvenile jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Depending on the intensity and truth in it, the way I get offended by racist jokes varies...
    Some of them really are funny.

    But, there is a time and place for everything... This was totally inappropriate!!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?