I have this mega grouse. People expect me to fit a mould of their expectations. They have some preconceived notions of how a woman should look, behave and think. And they want to stuff me in that mould. Even if I don't fit, even if I am much more than just how I look. Then some have another mould ready for me - that of a mother. Being one, I am expected to have certain feelings, behave certain way (again), do certain things. Some well-meaning souls have a set of criteria ready for my older daughter and in time will want to implement it on my younger one too. After all, girls/women/females need guidance, no? They are pretty incapable of thinking for themselves, making good decisions and tend to be foolish.
Just recently, a female coworker told me how I look much better these days - what with my growing hair and resultant feminine looks. Is that all I am? Hair and looks? So, if someone were to see me in short, SHORT hair (as I usually like to keep them), would I look less feminine? Is feminity associated only with long hair?? More importantly, is feminity that important? Suppose you worked with me. Would it change your professional opinion of me if I cut my hair short? Or grew them long?
Dictionary.com defines "feminine" as "having qualities traditionally ascribed to women, as sensitivity or gentleness". I have further issues with this. 1) How does having long hair relate to sensitivity or gentleness? OK - this is just in context of the co worker's comment. Dictionary.com doesn't say this. 2) WHY are they considered feminine traits? Can't men be sensitive or gentle? My man is. Does that mean he is not man enough? Does he have to be aggressive and insensitive to prove himself as a man?
A few months ago I had another argument with another coworker. Not related to the recent "feminine" grouse, but I have been thinking about it and meaning to write about it here. She says I need to be more feminine (wear dresses, wear makeup, wear jewelry) so that my girls can learn it from me. Again - two issues.
1. WHY do I need to do all this (especially since I don't like to) to teach my daughters how to dress beautifully or apply makeup. Granted I don't know how to apply makeup, but they can learn from friends, no? How many of us learnt it from our mothers? I can get them the resources, or maybe even learn along with them - hey, no skill is small.
2. Why do they HAVE to grow up feminine? (This is the argument my coworker gave - they won't grow up feminine if I don't do all this because they won't have a role model). I am perfectly happy - in fact MORE happy - if they grow up to be tomboys. With no hangups about their looks or dresses or tresses. Leads to a simpler and less complicated life methinks.
I wouldn't discourage their choices. I will try to teach them to think for themselves before taking anything up. But if one of my daughters decides she wants to look pretty and all dressed up, I'll be glad that there is at least one female in our family willing to do so. Me? I can't be bothered to try to look feminine. I try to dress well. I like wearing jewelry and makeup occasionally. If I end up looking feminine and pretty, well BONUS! But I have been known to walk out of the house without lipstick and mascara. Or I should say - I have been known to occasionally walk out with lipstick and mascara ON. I usually go without.
So. After all this meaningless rambling, my only question is - why is pseudo-feminity such a big deal? By pseudo-feminity I mean feminity associated ONLY to looks and not the behavioral traits associated with it. What does it matter to you if I have short hair and look like a boy? Isn't it enough that I am kind, gentle and witty (or trying to be) and good at what I do professionally?
Another thing I have often thought about is something I have heard some women say, including my MIL. A girl should be ready to make sacrifices for her brothers or father (or family). By sacrifices they mean small gestures like saving the last piece of a sweet for the brother, or giving the brother/father the best piece and saving the not-so-good or downright unpalatable piece for herself. Giving up the TV remote for them. Or the Sunday comics. Putting them first, not thinking about herself. Or bigger gestures - like not having a mind or opinion of their own. Doing what the father/brother/elders say. Marrying the guy of the family's choice. Or NOT marrying the guy of their own choice. Being "homely". Giving up their own comfort for the comfort of others.
Well, it sounds great and idealistic, innit? Raising selfless daughters so they will spread sunshine and happiness where ever they go. But I am sorry - I ain't gonna do it. I am going to teach my daughters to be selfish. Not selfish as in "I want this and the rest of the world may go to hell". But selfish as in "I feel this is right for me so I am going to stand up for myself even if it might upset someone". Maybe this isn't selfishness. Maybe "headstrong" is the word I am looking for? Or it is just self-respect. When you have it, you know that there are certain things you shouldn't/wouldn't compromise on even if they made someone else upset. THAT is what I want my daughters to learn. I don't want to turn them into doormats.
This thought first entered my mind years ago when I only had S. M hadn't even entered my mind i.e. I hadn't even started planning a second baby. We were going to India to visit with family. The year was 2003. I and J had decided that I and S would first go to Jodhpur, where my brother, his wife and parents were going to meet me. Then after spending a week there, I would head to Indore for two weeks. Then I would visit my parents for one week again, this time in Dhar, M.P. where my mom was then stationed. My parents and brother had agreed to come down to Jodhpur because I wanted to go there - no trip is complete without going to "mharo pyaaro Jodhpur" (My lovely Jodhpur). I thought this was a fair deal. I was spending equal amount of time with both sets of parents, not a day more or less at either place. But my FIL thought otherwise. And he let my parents know this. Then my dad started pressuring me into changing my plan to go to Indore first as I was a bahu first and a daughter second. To cut a long story short, I lost all interest in going to India. I couldn't understand why anyone would have any problems with our plan as
1) J and I agreed upon it completely. In my opinion, if we are in agreement, no one else's opinion matters in this case.
2) We agreed on this plan because this involved least amount of traveling within India which is what you want when you are visiting just for 4 weeks.
Anyway, finally I did what we had planned all along, though not without arguments, debates, anger flare-ups and taunts. During this planning phase I told my mom once - I promise you, I am going to bring my daughter up to be very selfish so she doesn't have to go through all this EVER! Even today, I intend to do that. Well, not raise her to be selfish, but to raise her to be a headstrong woman. Who would be fair but not compromise on things just to make others happy - especially if those compromises make HER unhappy. My sister-in-law - my brother's wife - is one such woman. She is a kind, gentle woman, yet so sure about what she wants. She is headstrong and confident. I told her (and my mother) I want her to be my daughters' role model. Tell me - is there a potion I could give my daughters so they would grow up to be like that?
Great ethic to follow, Cee!
ReplyDeleteAnd I sure hope your daughters inherit your mental strength. The route you've chosen is REALLY hard to stick to, although I feel it's the one which pays off in the long run.
The whole concept of "feminine" is built by patriarchy, I feel. And all these women who talk of long hair as "feminine" are talking bull. I love my hair long because it suits my face - and my boyfriend just loves long hair, even while maintaining it himself! Sure some qualities can be seen as "masculine" and "feminine", but to be a balanced and happy person I feel that everyone needs a bit of both. The sensitive men, and the strong women, are usually happiest, aren't we?
Am so with you on this Nirupa Roy always struck me as a pain in the a@#. Why should the girl be taught to 'sacrifice'? Who can't both genders be considerate but independent-minded?
ReplyDeleteLuckily at our place, my family is overrun by strong women and my folks never treated us any different than they would have treated boys so here I am, outspoken, possibly a pain in the a$# to other people but as Kipling said, "To thine own self be true". I'm planning to teach my kids that poem as their anthem in life!
I like this attitude. Good, CeeKay, keep it up.
ReplyDeletePerfectly valid grouse, CeeKay.
ReplyDelete"You should be more feminine"???
Gee, I wonder what would be an appropriate answer to that?
"You should really try to be more intelligent and less nosey"?
How did you respond?
I agree with every word you say. I have had similar experiences with my inlaws. They were very clear that things are done in a certain way in "our family" and a girl should not spend more than 25% of her vacation with her parents. This is after tickets are booked and when we both are in agreement that we spend equal time with our parents.
ReplyDeleteI tried to be sensitive and all the feminine things a girl is supposed to be and let my husband handle the conversation and after minutes of mental torture and pain I decided I be myself. And I told them off. My life, my rules.
Independence, education and above all stories of how important it is for a woman to be herself and independent fed from childhood by everyone including my grandma who has forever been dependent on my grandpa shaped my life.
As I grew up I assume, every family thought these stuff and today I see my friends struggle to take a stand or just follow blindly what is being said in the pursuit of being the ideal DIL, I am glad my parents brought be up to independent and headstrong!
Good Luck!
i've always thought the way the guy's family treat the girl was pretty shit. way to go! not many people do what you do. especially here in kerala
ReplyDeleteagree, agrree and agree again. your family actually expects female members to leave last/better piece of food for male members? Really? Growing up, my mom refused to give up her share of ice-cream or chocolate or whatever treat we were having. she would not eat all of it, but it was hers to eat as when and how she wanted and she made no boes about it. You have your share, this is mine. I think she has passed on that ethic to me too. She also passed on knowledge how to apply lipstick and co-ordinate nail colors and no guesses as to which I think is waaaay more important :) I never did like her choice of lipstick colors :D
ReplyDeleteNot selfish as in "I want this and the rest of the world may go to hell". But selfish as in "I feel this is right for me so I am going to stand up for myself even if it might upset someone".
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful words!!
Exactly the kind of words I've been looking for recently.
I sometimes feel so guilty when T1 listens to what I ask of her, compromising at such a young age! I keep wondering if she's going to give in all her life. T2, on the other hand is still the boss. She knows exactly what she wants and gets it done (with a lot of screaming now, hopefully she'll find better tactics as she grows up).
Totally unbelievable how people say such things! Nothing wrong in complimenting your hair-do...just that the way it was done was just so uncouth!
(btw, I've taken up your rule on lip-gloss for T1 - apply it once and be done! Working well for both of us, thanks! :)
Suki: Yes, I have learnt it the hard way - that this route is the only way to go. Especially for a woman. I know what you mean about the concept of "feminie" being built by patriarchy. Would you care to elaborate on which qualities one could classify as feminie or masculine? Just curoius because going by this argument of mine, none come to MY mind. And yes, if men were more sensitive and women stronger, that would be ideal.
ReplyDeleteBEV: Same here. I never encountered this outlook at my parents' home. Just outside and then at my inlaws' home. I have to go look that poem up!
Dipali: Thanks!
Mummyjaan: "You should really try to be more intelligent and less nosey"?
Ha ha! A perfect reply, but unfortunately didn't come to me at the right time :P As for what my reply was? This. This post. Because I couldn't think of anything to say at that time. Gah!!
V: You go girl! I just visited your blog and saw that you celebrated your second anniversary last month. Happy belated anniversary. It is amazing to me that you stood up for yourself just in 2 short years! Me? It took me waaay longer than that :D
g-man: The way many people treat their DILs - just makes my blood boil. This stems from the thinking of a girl being her father's and then her husband's "property". Worst are those who pretend to be very open minded and forward but secretly believe in, and want to follow, all the stupid traditions. Who want their DILs to be educated and smart but the moment they enter the house, expect them to sit at home, take care of their home and follow orders in the name of "respecting the elders". And not to be too harsh, but the men, their husbands, are to be blamed too. A woman is respected by her inlaws ONLY if her husband respects her. Seen that first hand.
Dotthoughts: Not MY family, silly! Our extended family, on J's side to be very specific. Some relatives on my mother's side too - and I have been butting heads with them all my life. They now know better than to express these opinions in front of me :) My parents brought us up the same way - anything that was to be shared by everyone was shared four equal ways. And no "mom giving her share to darling son" business! That is why I found it very odd when I first witnessed it at J's house. LOL at you not agreeing with your mom's choice of lipstick colors - if that is the only thing you disagreed upon, then lucky you!
GND: I hear you! I feel guilty too that perhaps I have made my daughter so timid that she follows everything we say. But she is developing her own personality now. The other day she said "I am NOT asking you, I am TELLING you that I am not going to attend my violin lesson at school tomorrow because I want to go to the World Cultural Fair instead". I kinda liked it! And M, it seems, is the same as T2. Screams her head off if we do something she doesn't like :P She is going to have serious issues with me, I am sure. Thanks for the "endorsement" on the lip-gloss strategy :D
Funny timing for this post - just yesterday the husband and I had one of our occasional confession bouts over dinner and I was telling him how I always feel (and usually indulge in) the temptation to keep the better/bigger/last piece for myself... ;-) And we laughed over it - as simple as that. Isn't that just wonderful? I feel luck indeed!
ReplyDeleteDo folks still expect girls to be so self-effacing? I'm glad we girls aren't falling for it anymore. And talking of potions, your example is the best way to teach your girls, isn't it?
Oh ABSOLUTELY AGREE. We were just talking about feminist issues in class. Girls just need courage and faithe in themselves to blaze their own paths and stand up for their convictions and principles. It is sad that it has to be a fight against practically the whole world if we need to do something as simple as go to our parents house or choose not to take a name or even educate oursleves. I am sure both the little ceekays will do you proud.
ReplyDeletehave i ever disagree with you oh sane and wise cee kay?
ReplyDeleteon a note, though, my mil does things the same way - and i have one sil - stuck with four brothers. since she's visiting, i've been brainwashing her into standing up and saying no.
sometimes i think the mil is happy about and sometimes unhappy - i know the sil is ecstatic though.
:)
Rah, rah, Cee Kay! I hear you, friend. Cannot STAND all these superficial notions of what "feminity" is supposed to be. I'm going to teach my daughter to be loving and strong and confident in her own skin. To me, that's what being a woman's about.
ReplyDeleteMy inlaws hate me I think, I am spending 6 weeks alone with my kids in Singapore and only 3 weeks in India with my dh and inlaws. I decided after my last visit 3 years ago never to go without my dh.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I am not going to tell my girls they need to give the last/best piece to their brothers.
Gosh Cee, my two cents on this, dress to bring a smile to your face and a spring to your step when you leave home. Nothing beats the confidence you get when you are well put together. But be confident enough of yourself that you are confident when you are not well put together too....
ReplyDeleteMasculine or feminine. Being well groomed is more important than following gender stereotypes of clothing and hair length.
And being happy and confident.
And bah, I am so not giving the drumstick up to the husband. He can chomp on the damn wing.
Oh man do I agree with this post 200% or what..the sentiments here strongly echo mine :)
ReplyDeleteand I so hear you on thios" spend equal days at both sets of the parents house"..it kinda dilutes the pleasure of making a trip sometimes..all this planning and side-stepping..
ah well must not start my rant here..kiran is right..confidence matters and can make a whole lot of difference na?
Totally agree ! Way to go !! Good post.
ReplyDeleteoops, I guess I jumped off into the deep end with "masculine" and "feminine" qualities. I tend to see "masculine-feminine", "yin-yang", "day-night" as ways of classifying energies, and usually it's the active virtues like strength, enthusiasm that are seen as "male" and "day", while passive ones like endurance, sensitivity are seen as "female" and "night". Just going by a general perception, which has nothing to do with how I envision gender in human society.
ReplyDeleteMy relatives have an issue that I rarely wear jewelry (besides my wedding ring). I have multiple ear-piercings (3 on one and 2 on the other) however I haven’t worn earrings on a regular basis since college.
ReplyDeleteHope all is well my friend. = )
Devaki: LOL at keeping the bigger/better/last piece for yourself :P Yup - folks very much want girls to be this way - at least from what I see. I am not so sure that the girls aren't falling for it anymore - some still do. I hope my way of teaching them turns out right.
ReplyDeleteBinary: Yes - girls need courage and faith in themselves and all that. But who will help them develop that? From what I see, these (mis)values are propogating themselves from generation to generation. Granted, more and more girls are breakign free, but there are still a lot many blindly following the norms expected of them. Bah! Ignore me. I am in one of those pessimistic, sleep deprived moods.
Mona: If each of us can help one girl break free from these shackles, that would be something, huh? Keep at it!
Amuser: I agree. No one ever goes around asking boys to be masculine (except maybe when they are crying - which is another pet peeve of mine). Why this eager expectation from all girls/women to be nice and delicate and all things supposedly feminine?? Bah, humbug!! As I said to Binary - ignore me.
Sraikh - LUCKY YOU!! I stayed with my inlaws for four months after J came to the US. Never again, I promised myself! And in my house, the last piece goes to the person who rightfully deserves it. The best piece, of course, goes to me :D Jokes apart, I am teaching my daughters to share and be considerate of others. That includes not hogging the last piece or the best food. But that is not because they are gilrs - but because I want them to grow up with good manners. If I had a son, I'd be teaching him the same things.
Kiran: I agree Kiran. Dress well for yourself, not to appease someone's notion of a woman. That said, I dress well. Sometimes I let my hair down. Even when I am not looking my best, I am confident that I am still ME. Anyone who judges me based on my looks or appearance can go take a hike. Or a jump. From a cliff. With pleasure :)
ReplyDeleteAgree with what you said - being a well groomed person is more important that following societal norms of dress and hair length and whatnot. And bravo! Hang on to that drumstick, sista!!
RV: Rant away. Have something on your mind? Unload it here. This is Dr. Charu's space for emotional healing :D
2BsMommy: Thanks! Read on your blog that you bought a new house - congrats!! Sorry haven't been blog-hopping much, and not been commenting either.
Suki: Yup! Took a long running dive is more like it :P Again - the "classifying of energies" and classifying active/passive virtues etc. is very rigid adn very biased, in my opinion. WHY classify certain traits with being male and others with being female? And did you notice that all positive/active traits got assigned to males? Do you think that was an accident? Or was it more of a way at hinting how women should be? Why classify at all?? Why can't we all be just a collection of traits, whatever they be? Of course, I am not expecting an answer or a solution. Just asking a frustrated question.
Unmana: Yes - you got it right - comfort is what matters. Comfort with what I am wearing, what I do and how I behave (provided it doesn't hurt anyone). Yes, please do a post. I'll look forward to it.
MintChutney: Hey! Look who is on the prowl again!! :D Yes - all is well. Except poor ol' me - down with sever congestion, eye infection, coughing and fever :(( My MIL forced me to get my nose pierced for my wedding. That, and other incidents like that, have been bugging me for a long time. This post is just a tip of the iceberg :P
I'm so with you on this one. I am practicaly a doormat though I do not want to be one. My in laws take advantage of that and have managed to ruin every india trip that i have made in the last 10 years. So I'm determined to ensure that my daughter learns to stand up for herself.
ReplyDeleteSo true! Like BEV said, I believe in being true to oneself. Despite IL pressure, I chose to retain my maiden name, not wear sindoor/mangalsutra - not because I'm not religious, but because I feel they are superficial accessories that don't define a marriage. But, again, I do like to save a the last piece of sweet for R or my mom, not because as a girl, I'm expected to, but because I know they would enjoy it...and they'd do it right back for me. You keeping being yourself, Cee Kay - that's who you are and we love you for it :)
ReplyDeleteLoved this one too! And if you ever get that potion, please do mail me some! :)
ReplyDeleteano
I am proud to be raising a selfish daughter! My mother was a traditional housewife raised in the 1950s. She didn't "get" me since I wasn't interested in doing endless housework, being girly-girly, or being submissive to the male species. My daughter is beautiful, girly, intelligent, articulate, well traveled, has goals, and never ever lets anyone get away with telling her she can't do something because she's a girl :)
ReplyDeleteWow!! U know I have a daughter who will become 1 year old...and I think the same things...Why should she be feminine..Even I want to teach her to take what is her right and not be "HOMELY" and sacrifice small and big things...
ReplyDelete