Warning – Rant(orama) ahead!
I want to vent, rant and rave. I am not going to use foul language or cause bodily harm to anyone this rant is against. So rest assured.
So you made it this far? Boy, you really must love my rants!
Oh, a lot of things tick me off. I am/have been/will certainly be ticked off by…
… bosses who, instead of patting me on the back for emergencies well handled, drag me through a Q&A and expect me to use my third eye and sixth sense to handle problems well before a) they arise, or b) are reported.
... colleagues who won't prepare their own purchase requests for items they need and then pester me with "Is it done yet?". No amount of "Do it yourself" hints and direct suggestions will make them understand (or is it that they don't want to understand?? Pretend to be a fool and get your work done - hmmmmm. Good strategy).
... people who try to "help" even when I didn't ask for help, and especially when I have refused offers of help. Buddy, back off!! I'll ask for it when I need it - OK? OK??
... drivers who change lanes or turn without turning on their turn indiactors.
... drivers who give a turn indication as (or after) they take a turn or change lanes. Hello? Just because you turned on the indicator doesn't mean there is space between my car and the one ahead of me!
... people who ask me "but why do you want another child?". Some people are exempt - they can ask such questions, and I will try to explain. But others (read mom whose daughter used to be in the same class as mine in grade one) SHUT UP!! Why did YOU have 2 kids if having more than one kids is so terrible?
... people who comment "Wow! You are lucky!" when I inform them that I will be out of office the next day. DO NOT ASSUME that this day off is for fun. I might be going in to the doctor's office to get medication that will help me miscarry the blighted ovum that my "happy till yesterday" pregnancy has turned out to be.
... people who repeatedly say "Time for another one!". SHUT UP!!
... people who, when I tell them what an angel my daughter was at age two, say "Oh girls are easier to raise". You should have tried raising me at ANY age after birth. I have HIGH regards for my parents' patience. DO NOT try to explain differences in personalities by basing them just on gender.
... friends who start any phone conversation (even if it was I who placed the call) with "Where have you been? Bade busy ho gaye ho? (You've gotten very busy?)". Yes, and I just remembered something I have to do. Click.
... friends who insist we should not have our housewarming party for at least another year because we are such a busy couple. MY house. MY party. I DECIDE! OK?
... friends who insist that I should either let them cook or order food from outside when I invite them to my daughter's birthday party (again because I am "so busy"). WTF??
... people making racial comments implying one race is superior to another or one race has more problems than another just because it is that race.
... poeple comparing siblings to decide who is sweeter, more intelligent, fairer, darker, faster, wittier.... They are TWO DIFFERENT PERSONS. They cannot, and should not, be alike. Comprende?
... friends/relatives commenting how strict we are with our daughter (for the record - we are not. There are just a few non-negotiable points. Apart from those, she can do anything she wants to after she gets permission from one of us)
... friends/relatives warning me to just "wait and see - your daughter will not listen to you (or get out of control, or become mischievious, or whatever) when she grows up". You know what? You have been saying that since she was 18 months old. I am still waiting. I am not saying that there won't be any problems, but don't predict doom just because she listens to her parents more than some other kids do.
... people asking me "How much more do you want to study? I wouldn't want to study this much!". Know what? None of your f---ing business!
... relatives and friends back in India who, when we call them, just want to know how much weight I have gained/lost/am trying to lose etc. Sweetums - I stopped obsessing about my weight looong time ago. Its time you grew up too. I am trying to be healthy and that is all that matters. Right?
Phew!! That felt good. Might do more of it later....
Wow! That sounded like it was really cathartic. I've got to try myself one of those.
ReplyDeleteSeriously I hate people who unnecessarily comment on, pass judgement on or give unsolicited advice on my parenting style...
A load of your mind I can see. I agree completely on almost every count. It is no ones business but yours and your husbands as to how yu bring up your child, when or even if you have a housewarming party, how many children you want.
ReplyDeleteAs for being healthy rather than thin I ahve said enough about that to mirror your thoughts. Its not about being fat or thin, it IS about being healthy!
Don't let all these people get you down. Its your life and you should live it as you see fit.
So many things I often want to say but never do cos I'm a scaredy cat - this might inspire me...
ha! you know what ck, reading your rant was in some way cathartic for me also...
ReplyDeletephew- such a relief...
perhaps this is what one could call as 'vicarious relief'
take care
ardra
I felt better after reading this CK!! :) You go girl!!
ReplyDeleteIts always good to unload :)) And that's being Indian for you :)
ReplyDeleteIf reading this made me smile, then getting it out of your system must have done you loads. Take care.
hi . u almost made me feel angry after reading it! & u r so v right. read all ur posts on this page. hope ur IV thing is succesful
ReplyDeleteRohini: It really was - for two whole days. Now I feel another rant coming on... I just hate those imparting these unasked for nuggets of information on child-rearing!
ReplyDelete30in2005: Thankyou, thankyou and thankyou! And thankyou :D I visited your blog - liked what I read. Didn't have the time to comment. Will do, soon.
Ardra: Vicarious relief - hehe. I would love to hear what you would rant about. You seem like such a balanced, calm personality, I don't think you rant. Do you?
Sunrayz: Thanks :) I am gald I could make you smile (did I?) Been to your blog, read, but did not comment. Will do, next time.
M: Yup, it was good to unload all that without any fear (pros of anonimity :P) I am glad it brought a smile to your face. Your latest post is hilarious - brought a smile (or should I say smirk?) on my face...
itchingtowrite: Uh-oh! I didn't mean to aggravate anyone! :P I guess a lot of people identify with what I wrote. I have noticed one interesting thing though - only females commented on it. Is it only us who get so much affected by these poeple? Are men impervious to all this? Or is it that my readership is only female??