Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Amen!

S and I were working out in the yard last night, taking pictures and making a list of all the stuff that we lost when our basement flooded this weekend (another post on that later) when, somehow, the topic of old age (mine) came up. It happened this way:

S: You must be feeling really bad about losing all these cards and letters that you had saved.
Me: Meh. I figured I hadn't looked at them in the last 5 years so maybe it won't matter to me. I might miss them in my old age when I do have the time to sit and look through such things. But I sure hope that even in old age I will be active and busy enough not to have the time.
S (after a moment of silence): In your old age you will be living with ME. And my kids will keep you busy.
Me (melting into a mush): Awwww! I would LOVE to live with you! But what if your husband says no?
S: I will tell him you are MY mom and that you WILL live with me.
Me: What if he says he wants HIS mom to live with him?
S: We will get a bigger house.

Amen, my darling daughter. Amen!

Note: Later we clarified that "mom" meant BOTH her parents. "Mom" was just figure of speech :)


13 comments:

  1. Lucky you!

    Here's what my future is looking like based on similar conversation with son v, Aged five-

    Me: Someday I will grow old V and I hope you take care of me.

    V: Yes, ofcourse, you will come and live with me.

    Me: Awww! thats so sweet. But what if your wife doesn't like it and tells you I can't stay there.

    V: (Thinking a little...) I guess I will have to listen to her then.

    Me: Whaaaaaat???? Why?

    V: But you just told Daddy yesterday that "If you don't want to get into trouble always listen to your wife!"( Yes, I said this in an argument where his Dad wanted to do something utterly foolish with OUR money!!!!).

    Me: WTF????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deepa: ROFL!! Yep, that is why I reserve all such conversations till after they are in bed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine are pure evil and want to charge me even if they become dentists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a wonderful daughter. Atleast her feelings and thinking say that. Man, don't they observe and understand more then wanted???

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very understanding daughter you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lovely. Actually I tell my girl that I hope that I never have to stay with her in my old age. I would love to live close to her and give her the independence to live her life the way she chooses with her family without having to worry about me:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give the girl a hug for me please :)

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?